Tuesday, March 25, 2008

It All Comes Down To Priorities

As I have said in my previous two posts that I have encountered some shocking and horrible things in my time playing games. These things mostly root from misplaced priorities. The things that people would sacrafice to continue playing the game were truly astounding to me. I dont want to give any wrong impressions here though. Atleast 95% of the people who play these games dont act nearly as crazy as some of the people I will be describing in the next paragraphs. They make up a small portion, a portion that I feel need help.

The two people I am going to describe I have never met in person. All of the information I have learned about them and anything they have told me was ethier through in game chat or through a program called Ventrillo (vent) which allows people to join a server and communicate with eachother via voice chat. I will also be using fake names as not anger anyone, this is really just a precaution as I have no way to verify that the names they gave me were even their real ones in the first place.

I will start with a couple. I will call the jane and jim. I was in a WoW guild with jane and jim for about 5 months. I talked to them extensively in the game and on voice chat and some of the things I learned about them and their family saddend and depressed me. Jane and Jim have 3 small children together 4, 5, and 7 the oldest. Jane stayed home with the kids every day while jim went off to work as a electrical engineer. While jane was supposidly watching her two youngest children she was also on WoW nearly the entire day, she would get off around lunch time if she wasn't too busy to do so around 12:30, but there were days when she would play solid from 10:00 am to 3:00 pm so I have no idea what her children were doing or eating. She would always get off at 3:00 pm to pick up her oldest from school. When Jim came home around 6:00 pm she would get off and make dinner and eat I suppose. Right after that though no later than 7:00 both her and jim would be on to atleast 12:00 pm if not later. I would hear all kinds of things through their microphones. One of the most memorable times was when we were in a raid and everytime ethier jane or jim talked (In ventrillo you hold a button down which opens your mic so people hear what you're saying) we heared screaming and crying in the background for 2 hours. It got to the point of where our guild leader asked jane or jim to go and tend to their children while we waited. Shortly after the crying stopped. I had originally thought it might have just been their children being difficult, but the more I paid attention I realized these people spent little to no time with their children and it took someone in the game to order them to do it. This happend several more times throughout the following weeks and it eventually came down to our guild leader removing them from the guild and telling them that they needed to take care of their children before they worried about WoW. Sadly this failed, they joined a different guild and from what I know still play the same amount as they did then today.

I really believe that people like this need help balancing the priorities in life. If their children rank below a computer game then I dont think they should have had any. This sadly though is only one example of people neglecting something in their life that should clearly be higher ranked than a computer game. Hopefully there will eventually be a good way for people like this to get help.

No comments: