Sunday, March 30, 2008

Time spent? What earned?

j from "Everquest Daily Grind: mmorpg infinity (no beyond)" typed a fascinating post about time spent in certain aspects of ones life.

"Let's face it: You are spending 10-20 hours a week on your MMOG of choice? Move along, you likely have little to worry about MMOGs impacting your well-being negatively. 30-50 hours a week? It's time to stop being such a fierce defender of your game existence and insist that it's yo choice to live your life, buddy. After all, you're not ACTUALLY fighting for the last tree on earth. Or trying to find the cure to save the world from Armageddon.

At best, you are only harming yourself. At worst, you are causing some heavy-duty damage on others who rely on you being in this world.

P.S.: And before you start thinking that it is "only" time that is the difference here, think again... time is limited and at the same time pervasive in all aspects of our lives - the length (and sure, the type) of your commitment to a particular aspect of your life and the combination of those commitments shapes who you are as a person."

This post really started me thinking about time allotment in my life. While I did once play computer games at the rate of which it was harming me and the people around me, today I do not. I do though spend copious amounts of time doing other things that aren't productive. It's really just me being lazy in my life. When I got done playing a MMORPG I would have a sense of accomplishment. I would gain some in game money, gain a level or get some new fancy sword and that would keep me going. The MMORPG allows for instant satisfaction every time. Nothing in the game world can ever really be that bad, it has it's minimal highs and minimals lows. This is very different from the real world in which great things can happen instantly and change your life in a flash, or on the other hand terrible things can occur and do just the opposite. The Game world is safe, it's comfortable. There is little to no risk in playing a MMORPG, little to gain little to lose if you look at it from a players perspective. If you turn the table though and look at the broader picture this is a huge amount that is lost. You spend countless hours doing something that doesn't get you anything but minor entertainment and lose all of the experiences you could have had interacting with the real world.

There is always the risk of getting hit by a bus or getting struck by lightening, but are those risks so great that it is justified to sit inside and play a mindless computer game for 30-50 hours a week? I think not. Like j said if one is playing the game for 10-20 hours a week it is just a fun hobby and there is little to worry about. Though if someone is playing for 30-50 there is a problem and in my opinion way too much is lost.

No comments: